Wow. This week has been MIGHTY eventful.
Well, it at least feels like it was mighty eventful. Olde Meck debuted a new brew on Wednesday night: the Mecktoberfest. It is awesome. Seriously. If you're in the area, stop by the brewery and try it out. Mmmm... However, that phenomenal beer caused J to have a 15 hour day. Now, that's normal for some people, but it was rough for him: heavy lifting, non-stop running around, cleaning out the laudertun... I mean, that's rough.
I was also pretty busy on Wednesday. It was the first night of High School Bible Study, and my first night co-leading it. It was also my grandma's birthday. I tried calling a couple times. The one time she answered, she had no idea who I was. This has been the case for 6-7 years now, so I wasn't terribly surprised, but it did sting. I think she had a good birthday though. They treat her well where she is.
Last night was actually pretty incredible. After a regular day at the office, J and I went to experience a Chef's Table at our favorite restaurant. We earned a shed-load of points from dining there so often (yay Happy Hour) and finally cashed in our points for a delicious meal. I will now dirty-up this blog with food porn. Hide your children, grab a napkin, and please forgive me.
The Chef is from Morocco - and was the executive chef at the US/Morocco embassy. So, he knows what he's doing. The only problem: It is SO hard to understand what he's saying. We didn't let that stop us from enjoying ourselves.
The first course was a jumbo shrimp stuffed in calamari, sitting on some endive and radishes. There was a light citrus and spice something happening there and it was heaven. Yeah.
The second course was awe-inspiring. Seriously. I was inspired and in awe of this chef's talent. It was a pan seared Scallop (about 2 oz or so... imagine a small filet mignon medallion) and a roasted Fig, both covered in a sweet plum confit. Our favorite bartender brought the figs from the tree at his home. I have to tell you all - it was good enough to be an appetizer, main course, and dessert all in one.
The Third Course is a strong tie to the second: A Lobster tail and claw, poached in champagne and truffle oil. This was served covered with sauteed onions, and on top of some snow peas. I thought the claw was perfect and tender until I got to the Lobster Tail. It peeled easily out of the shell, and had absolutely no toughness to it. The onions were stand-alone amazing, but they accented the delicate lobster flavor in a way that I couldn't have imagined.
Our final fish course, the fourth course, was a salmon filet with steamed spinach, apples, and pine nuts. It was good - but we all agree, it was forgettable. It is very important that you read this: The Salmon was amazing. But, when you compare it with the other courses that we were served, it paled in comparison.
Our Fifth course was a real Filet Mignon. By this point, we were starting to feel a little full, so I was nervous that I wouldn't be able to finish. Luckily, I found some room in my belly. The filet was cooked Med. Rare (perfect), and served with goat cheese potatoes au gratin, asparagus spears, and cauliflower. The delicate sauces is really where it was at... so forgive me that I can't remember which was which. Just know that it was scrumptious.
And Finally - dessert arrived. A chocolate/coconut mousse served in a chocolate bowl, with fresh fruit and jello. Moment of criticism... Jello? Really? I mean, I get that it was homemade, and the presentation was pretty cool... but Jello? I could've done without that. That said: mmmmm - the mousse was light and creamy and so so so good. The mango, starfruit, and etc were perfectly tart to match the sweetness of the chocolate bowl.
Let me know if you have any questions... I'll be back at the restaurant soon, so I'll be able to ask for you.
Okay, back to the hectic week....
Today, we return back to work, dreaming about that plum confit. I miss it already. Mom and I are catching a plane in a few hours to head up to Rochester. There's a family wedding - so I'll be throwing my dancing shoes on for a few hours, and then coming home early Sunday morning. Don't worry - I'll get Panther updates regularly...
So! Crazy week! Next week should be calm, but maybe not. We're celebrating our 2nd anniversary (yay!) and working on our Fantasy Football Drafts. It'll be my first year doing any live drafts, so I'm pretty nervous about it. I realize its a game though, and am really in it to have fun - but I don't want to look like a doofus in the process! hahaha
I hope you all have rockin' weekends!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
First, your dinner sounded excellent! What restaurant is that? Secondly, a bunch of the pharmacy kids and I (at the request of someone's fiancee) are doing our own fantasy football league too. None of us know what we're doing, so it should be a fun filled adventure! Hope you're doing well.
ReplyDelete